Changing plans due to bad weather

Иногда нужно менять планы из-за плохой погоды. Предоставляю к Вашему изучению несколько типичных ситуаций, которые могут произойти с каждым. 

- Are you going to visit your relatives in the country this weekend?
- Yes, I am.
- Have you watched the weather forecast for the nearest few days?
- No, I haven't.
- I have watched. It says that it will snow.
- Will it snow heavily?
- Yes, it will. It’s dangerous to set out on a trip under such weather conditions. The visibility on the road is bad; the snow falls directly on your windshield. There might be iced-crusted ground, so it will be difficult to move over it. Besides you won’t be able to travel at the high speed. There is a high risk that you can get into an accident. Will you cancel your trip?
- Yes, I'll probably postpone it. Thanks for advice.
to set out on a trip - отправляться в поездку
iced-crusted ground - гололедица
to travel at the high speed - путешествовать на высокой скорости
get into an accident - попадать в ДТП
cancel а trip - отменить поездку
postpone а trip - отложить поездку

- Are you going to set out on a trip to New York this weekend?
- Yes, I am.
- I wouldn’t recommend you to do it. It will be foggy. The visibility on the road is bad, you will need to have your headlights turned on. Anyway you can’t see everything through the fog. You may knock down someone crossing the street or you might not notice an important traffic sign.
- You are right. But I have a really important meeting in New York, so I'll still go there. I won't go there by car as I planned before. I can go there by train.
to have your headlights turned on - ехать с включенными фарами

- Will you have a barbeque near the lake this weekend?
- Yes, we are planning to have the one.
- The rain may spoil your day off. It will start raining and you will get soaked. Is there any café with a porch or summerhouses in the neighborhood of the lake? If there is a café or a summerhouse you can always find a shelter there. 
- Yes, there might be places to find a shelter.
- But you won’t be able to sunbathe or to play outdoor games.
- But we'll be able to have a rain shower. 
- Yes, that's fun. You may catch a cold, so be careful.
get soaked - промокнуть 
find a shelter - найти укрытие
catch a cold - простужаться 

- Hi, I’m driving a car and the weather is changing.
- What’s up?
- The sky is overcast, the strong wind is blowing outside. Dark grey clouds are thickening.  Trees bend with the wind. Broken twigs fall directly on my windshield. The weather is horrible. Can you check the weather forecast for today on your mobile phone? What does it say?
- There will be a storm in our area.
- I’m speeding up now and hopefully I will get through the storm. If it rains heavily I will stop by the side of the road and wait until it finishes. Hopefully strong wind gusts won’t cause damage to my car. Have you planned anything for today?  
- Yes, I planned to go for a walk with my friends, but we'll delay the walk.
clouds are thickening - сгущаются тучи
get through the storm - прорваться через бурю
stop by the side of the road - остановится на обочине
strong wind gusts - сильные порывы ветра
cause damage to - причинить ущерб

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий