Questions on the video:
- What different professions are mentioned in the first part of the video? What do kids and teenagers in America want to become when they grow up? What did you want to become when you were a child? What do your kids want to become in the future? Do they know what programmers do? What are typical stereotypes about programmers?
- What is basically programming?
- How many computer jobs will there be over the next 10 years?
- How many qualified graduates will there be over the next 10 years?
- How did IT people start? Were they motivated by their interests?
- Were the first programs the developers made simple or complicated?
- What has Bronwen compared programming with?
- Is the work in team stimulating for developers?
- Is there a greater need or supply of engineers who can write code in the world?
- Why do employers make their offices awesome?
- What facilities do they offer?
- Are computers everywhere? In what spheres?
- Why is it important to introduce technologies at school?
- Do you need to be a genius to become a good coder?
- Why is software something about humanity?
- Are the programmers of tomorrow the wizards of the future, do they have any superpower?
- What is the message of the video? Is its goal to enhance education, computer science among young learners? Or does the video advertise the coding site?
Definition of programming
Explaining to the computer what you want it to do for you.
When you’re programming you’re teaching possibly the stupidest thing in the entire universe, a computer, how to do smth.
Programming is the thing when you can sit down and make smth completely new from scratch.
It’s really unlike playing the instrument or playing sport.
A lot of the coding that people do is fairly simple. It’s more like the process of breaking down a problem than coming up with complicated outcomes.
List of words
Mystery make smth completely new from scratch intimidating handle smth over time break down a problem come up with an idea/ a solution/ a result simple-complicated shortage for to be obsessed with smth. a very clear goal of what I want to do move things around the map astonishing/ amazing/ awesome blank wall light resolve into structure filled with light serene feeling create smth express creativity emergency the magic happens collaborate charm lives manufacturing agriculture entertainment push through problems critical thinking apply to mandatory misconception determined addition subtraction multiplication change one’s outlook empowering skill
The call to Internet provider. Troubleshooting problems with connection.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByAORY_FC2H5aUN5MUtRZjJJbG8/view?usp=sharingPhrases to show the caller that you’re listening Yes, I see what you’re saying. Ok, I’ve got you so far. I see. And what happened next? Is that right? Focus the caller on one issue Let’s go back to your main concern here and deal with that first. I’d like to figure out exactly what the problem is before we go on. Let’s just concentrate on price for now and then we can talk on other issues. Both are all good points, but I want to zoom in on your first idea. How to buy some time Could you just tell me again what happened? Let me think. What did you say you’ve tried already? I see. This is pretty frustrating for everyone, huh? Hmm. Any idea why this happened? Showing empathy I’ve been in that situation myself. It’s really tough. Now your next concern is. Yes, I understand what you mean. What are we going to do about this? Oh my gosh. That is troubling. And if I could just ask you a couple of questions. I know exactly how frustrating that is. Now let’s have a look at some next steps. I see. That must be frustrating. Let’s try to fix it. Offering a limited number of choices There are two things we can do here. Let me give you a couple of choices. First, you could return the item. We can either courier the package over or you can pick it up here. I see three possible ways we could go here. Practice the idioms: Well I have to … this is the best meeting we’ve had. This rain is really driving me … We decided on the best solution through the process of … Please wait, while I put you … to the customer service department. Tech support tried for hours to get to the root of the … Respond to a caller who has a complaint. + Show that you’re listening to the caller. The images on the document are really blurred. They kind of fuzzy around the edges. Ok, see, saying + Focus on a problem This is the third time this has happened to us. And it’s getting expensive. Well, talk, problems, documents. + Empathize with the caller and move the conversation on If those images are unclear it’s going to make a really bad impression. I see, frustrating, try, fix. + Give the caller some options I’m not sure what we can do. Try, reprint, find, new images. Useful structure: Won’t + Verb; wouldn’t + Verb a) “won't” , “shan’t” can be used to talk about refusal when it relates to present situations: I can't get these pictures to download. I keep clicking on this icon, but they won't download. She's invited me many times. But I shan't go. b) “wouldn't” = refused to. The link wouldn’t open last time. The server wouldn’t respond to my request.